Monday 18 February 2008

Again, with picture!

Oh the joys of doing something new, uploading pics to Blogger! Anyhow, here are my Simply Loves, finished last week. Saturday I managed to upload an entry, but no photo.

Great fun to knit - once I'd worked out how to position the single hearts! All ready to be sent to Mum for Mothering Sunday (2nd March).

I've discovered that my socks wear under the heels and balls of of my feet - any ideas for how to reinforce them as I knit, rather than darning later?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can get reinforcing thread I think but don't know where to get it from. Knitting with 2 strands would reinforce them too. Love your socks.

Barb W. said...

I have used reinforcing thread on the heels of my wool socks. You can usually purchase it at your yarn shop.

Sandy and Steve said...

I too wear out the bottoms of my socks, rather than the backs of my heels.What I do is do the heel stitch (knit 1 slip 1) not just on the back of the hell, but while you're turning the heel, and a couple of inches into the foot. You could easily continue it on the entire sole or start it again for a couple of inches before you start decreasing for the toe. If you are doing toe-up socks, just reverse the process, and start the heel area reinforcing stitches about halfway through your increases for the gusset.

Hattie said...

Yeah you should be able to get nylon thread to knit held with your yarn for the heel. It shouldn't be very expensive.

The socks look great! I really like the striping, I think if you'd done bigger stripes you wouldn't see the hearts as well.

Bronchitkat said...

Thanks, everyone.

S&S - I'm trying reinforcing the sole & ball of foot areas of the socks I'm currently knitting using this method. We'll see how it lasts. Otherwise I'll be on a nylon thread hunt!

Dolly said...

Beautiful pair !

Nui said...

They turned out beautiful!