Monday 9 June 2008

Rainforest Socks Upside Down

As usual, I knit my socks toe-up. The Rainforest pattern works fine when knit upside down, except - and I just discovered this - the rainforest effect is upside down! I've had this yarn for a while and have been looking for a pattern that would allow the stripes to show but still have some visual interest. The Rainforest pattern reminded me of fireworks, so it seemed perfect.

I knit along, trying on my sock as it grew, and loved it. Unfortunately, I just discovered that while the pattern looks like fireworks coming down while I'm looking at my toes, once the sock is made and on my foot, it will look like the fireworks are going up!

Apparently it doesn't bother me enough to frog the whole thing, though, because I kept knitting. The pattern is so easy to do and I like the effect, even if I did it upside down.

9 comments:

Judy said...

After all, fireworks have to go up in order to come down.

Judy

Lil' Vicki said...

They look briliant. What yarn did you use?

not just a mom said...

My sock yarn is Schoeller & Stahl Fortissima Colori in Color 1776.

Love the 'fireworks must go up' idea. Poor Anni, I'm doing her pattern backwards - but the pattern is so great that it even works upside down!

TrulyBlessed said...

It's all in your point of view. From here they look fabulous. You could stand on your head or walk on your hands :D
KUDOS to your originality & Anni's beautiful pattern!

Sandy and Steve said...

I love 'em! I always think of fireworks going up anyway.

Redtabby said...

I have just started a pair in the same 1776 colorway to wear on July 4. I am not doing any stitch pattern, though. I have not yet gotten to the first blue and white stripe.

Put a Sock in it said...

They look great in that yarn. Nice job! =)

Unknown said...

Love they way they're turning out! That yarn is so cool.

Anonymous said...

wow, that's fantastic. Love them. Just love that yarn. Wonder where I can get some. It looks just fabolous. And I love it when people change patterns around and come up with something new. Well done. Can't wait to see them finished.