Wednesday 30 January 2008

New Year Socks done!


Well, I tried to post through Flickr, but that apparently didn't work. So, here we go again.
I really like what everybody is doing with the pattern, only my socks disappoint me greatly. I don't think the colourway and the yarn I chose work well together. And the decision not to do the pattern on the foot (I don't like lacy pattern directly on the feet in shoes) looks like it was a bad one as well. And the stitches wouldn't drop properly (and trust me, that is normally NOT my problem!). It took quite a bit of convincing them to drop. But I kind of got there in the end.
The main problem with these socks though is that they came out way too big for me. And I kept trying them on while knitting and they were ok then! I wore them yesterday and literally kept losing the socks while walking in the house. Not funny. Not at all.
So, eventhough I really, really like the pattern and everybody elses sock look fantastic, I'm very unhappy with mine. Not sure yet what to do with them. I might frog them after all. But I really don't want to. But they are way too big and I don't know anybody who would wear lacy socks and and has feet 2 sizes bigger than mine to give them to. Ah well. I'll figure something out. At least everybody else has proven that this pattern makes one gorgeous pair of socks if you don't mess it up like I did. Well done everyone!
And a big thanks to Anni for another great pattern!

quesselchen

5 comments:

Mamere Knits Too Much said...

sorry to hear of those troubles! have been there with my jaywalkers, if you dare to: this is what i did ~ washed (machine) & dryed (machine)~ watched them carefully while drying - they shrunk (not really felted) nicely and now i wear them all the time!

Barb W. said...

I know you said you didn't like the colorway, but really it is very pretty. When I made my pair I thought about the pattern on the foot section too and dropped it. Settled on just a plain stockinette. I have had problems with sizing with some of Anni's patterns. I have learned to drop down a needle size for the foot and the fit has been much better.

Sandy and Steve said...

I agree with Barb! I almost knits socks on 2 circs, and pretty much always use a smaller needle for the sole stitches because it fits better wears longer. And, hey, if you're looking for a home for your too large socks, I wear a size 10. VBG
Sandy

Nui said...

I think they came out beautiful. I regretted that I used a solid color for mines. I also had problems making my stitch drop but after 1 washing they all dropped down nicely.

Anna Marie said...

Too bad the socks are too big for me (size 5 shoe). I really like the way they came out and I like the colors too.