Thursday 3 January 2008

New Year Socks in progress


As I'm not quite sure if I like the yarn I chose for these, I thought I should show them so others can decide before the knit ;). I'm still trying to decide if I like the big colour blocks in combination with the pattern or not - I'll give it to the heel maximum before making a final decision.

One other thing - for those that share two of my "ticks" (a. things need to be right and follow an order (or a pattern) and b. I read knitting charts from right to left (don't ask why, I have no clue, but most of the times that works...)) this might save you ripping back to the cuff (which I did). Read the chart (haven't gotten to the instep yet, but suspect that'll be the same) from left to right - this way the 2 knit stitches from the cuff will continue to be knit (as in my picture), if you read from the right they'll be swapped to purl stitches (which is just not right in my sometimes weird mind ;)). Another possibility is to knit the cuff p2, k2 and then read the chart from the right...

Hope that everybody is now sufficiently confused. I'll try to convince blogger now to actually take my picture...

Happy knitting all

4 comments:

Barb W. said...

I understand what your saying about the chart, but I do believe that charts are to be read from right to left. If, as in this case, the beginning stitces are purls, then the solution is to rearrange your stitches on your needles so you begin with a knit.

Anonymous said...

Okay. have just checked the pattern and I see where the confusion is. I've put to start with k2,p2 rib but it hsould be p2,k2 rib that way it will line up with hte chart if read right to left which is the way it should be read when working in the round, ie read the chart in the direction you're knitting. Such a simple mistake I must have just written it without thinking about it. Normally when you do a 2x2 rib it starts with k2 so I musth ave done it automatically. But if you do p2, k2 it should line up okay. If you've done it the other way around and reading the chart from left to right it doesn't matter as long as it lines up so it looks like a rib all the way down. YOu may have to alter the chart for the instep slightly though.

Anonymous said...

Great catch! When you get to the instep would you mind posting again to note any difficulties or details on how you altered the chart? I plan to read the leg left to right as I already started and am just a little nervous about dealing with the instep...Thanks a bunch!!!

nj2 said...

Can't you just move the 2 knit stitches to the next needle and start with the purl? I would hate to have to redo my ribbings???