Saturday, 12 May 2007

Finally got them on the needles!

No pics yet, but I'm doing the socks from the toe up, two at a time, using magic loop. I'm using the ballet colorway of the dancing yarn from knit picks (a discontinued sock yarn that I had on hand). I modified the small size slightly to make it work as the large size (72 stitches) since I was unsure how I'd like the three purl stitches: I simply extended the knit/purl patterning so it's two stitches wider which also meant that it became two rows longer (and shortened the first part of the pattern) so I also repeated rows 1 and 2 once to help balance it. I'm only on row 7, so I don't know yet how it will work out - hopefully quite well.

For the toe, I used a figure-8 cast-on of 36 stitches and did the necessary increases to 72, then FINALLY started the pattern. In case anyone is wondering: I cast on so many stitches as I don't like pointy toes on my socks. I much prefer a wider yet somewhat shorter toe on my socks - I find them to be much more comfortable to wear.

1 comment:

Anni said...

Sounds great. Can't wait to see pics.